Medical records and health information technicians
Zimbabwe - Medical records and health information technicians develop, maintain and implement health records processing, storage and retrieval systems in medical facilities and other health care settings to meet the legal professional, ethical and administrative records-keeping requirements of health services delivery.
- (a) planning, developing, maintaining and operating a variety of health record indexes and storage and retrieval systems to classify and analyze information
- (b) transcribing, compiling and processing patient medical records, admission and discharge documents, and other medical reports into records-keeping systems to provide data for patient monitoring and referral, epidemiological monitoring, research, billing, cost control and care improvement
- (c) reviewing records for completeness, accuracy and compliance with regulations
- (d) translating narrative descriptions and numeric information from medical records and other documents on health services delivery into codes associated with standard classification systems
- (e) protecting the security of medical records to ensure that confidentiality is maintained and releasing information to authorized persons and agencies in accordance with regulations
- (f) supervising clerical and administrative workers involved in the maintenance of medical records